Associate Professor in Exercise Physiology
Wayne State University
Wayne State University’s Division of Kinesiology, Health and Sport Studies is seeking to hire a 9-month tenure track Assistant/Associate Professor in Exercise Physiology with a specialization in Applied Cardiovascular Health.
The mission of Wayne State University is to create and advance knowledge, prepare a diverse student body to thrive, and positively impact local and global communities through collaboration, integrity, innovation, excellence, diversity and inclusion, and leadership. The College of Education is one of 13 schools and colleges at the university, and houses four academic divisions: Kinesiology, Health and Sport Studies; Teacher Education, Administrative and Organizational Studies, and Theoretical and Behavioral Foundations. The Division of Kinesiology, Health and Sport Studies contains four program areas (Community Health, Exercise and Sport Science, Health and Physical Education Teaching, and Sport Administration and Management), as well as a robust collection of health, wellness, and exercise classes in the Lifestyle Fitness Activity program. The Exercise and Sport Science program offers Bachelors, Masters, and Doctoral degrees, in addition to an undergraduate minor and an accelerated Masters program. This position offers excellent mentoring, collaborative opportunities, and extensive research and instructional support.
The ideal candidate for this Assistant/Associate Professor position would complement and expand the existing research portfolio in the Exercise and Sport Science program. Areas of specific research interests may range from the translational application of human physiology research with a strong focus on cardiovascular health and exercise interventions in clinical and/or community-based settings. Applicants should demonstrate a focused line of research in one or more of the following areas: the influence of activity and inactivity on the human cardiovascular system; cardiovascular health across the lifespan; and/or exercise prescription as it applies to cardiovascular health. This faculty member would join existing collaborations between other Division faculty and faculty from other units on campus (e.g., School of Medicine, School of Nursing, Office of the Vice-President for Research, etc.).
Required Qualifications :
- Ph.D. in Exercise Physiology (ABD considered)
- Evidence of scholarly promise or productivity commensurate with a Carnegie 1 research-intensive university
- Evidence of the capacity to secure external funding
- Experience teaching undergraduate and/or graduate courses in exercise physiology
Preferred Qualifications :
- Specialization in Applied Cardiovascular Health or related subspecialty
- Established and successful record of scholarship
- Willingness to lead and support collaborative, interdisciplinary, team-science research initiatives
- Post-doctoral training
- Publish scholarly work in high-quality, peer-reviewed journals
- Seek and obtain external funding, especially from federal sources
- Teach undergraduate and/or graduate courses
- Mentor graduate students
- Provide service to the university, college, division, and profession
Wayne State University is an equal opportunity employer. No person will be discriminated against or harassed in employment because of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, familial status, marital status, arrest record, height, weight, sexual orientation, qualified Vietnam era veterans, qualified special disabled veterans, recently separated veterans and other protected veterans, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal or state law.